The Sea Monster appears on the water's deepest territories (the dark spots shown in map). If the player's creature swims or flies further from the surface, a cut scene will play showing the Sea Monster devouring the player's creature. The Sea Monster can't be dodged by swimming away, even flying in highest heights. Sea Monster is incapable of killing pack members or any Spore creatures besides the player's creature.
When the player uses the Flying Fish consequence ability, the chieftain will start playing the cornet, and the Sea Monster will appear. It will then jump, sending a lot of fish onto the shores to the player's tribe. Afterwards, the Sea Monster and the chieftain will wave happily to each other. The Sea Monster will then go back into the sea.
- In the Creature Stage, sometimes the player's nest may spawn in the water, making it so that when the player's creature comes on land, the Sea Monster comes out of the ground and eats it. This makes it impossible to move forward in the game.
- It is possible to get past the sea monster by traveling at high enough speeds. This allows you to set your nest on other continents.
- The Sea Monster could represent the various marine reptiles of prehistoric Earth, such as plesiosaurs, ichthyosaurs, and mosasaurs.
- Unlike all other creatures, the Sea Monster cannot be killed.
- Like the Hyper Epic, the Sea Monster is far larger than normal epic creatures.
- It is very similar to Battered Feesh, but doesn't have any weapons and has a stranger tail. It only appears in the Creature Stage and the Tribal Stage.
- The Sea Monster shows up no matter how far up you are from the ocean.