“When Light fades, and Darkness breaks, the Void will consume the remains. For it is eternal, outlasting the formers, existing before and after.”
- - Xizothano Ada
- 1 Nature of The Void
- 2 Discovery
- 3 Qualities
- 4 Deities
- 5 Techniques
- 6 Other Information
- 7 Quotes from Others
Nature of The Void
The Void is an unknowable expanse of utter nothingness. Not Darkness, but nothingness. It cares not for the morals and ideals of its users, only that they kneel and understand that all things much return to it's maw. The Void only wishes that all things cease to exist. While the Void does grant people tremendous power, the more people who worship and use its power only spread its influence. When enough people have done this, the Void swallows the universe whole. Supposedly, this has happened numerous times, and will continue to happen so long as mortals in each cycle give in to their greed and lust for power. Some call the Void benevolent for this, as nothing lasts forever. Though to reiterate a previous point, The Void does not care.
Almost all practitioners of this energy also practice Voidism, a religion centered around worshiping powerful Void Energy users. The most powerful of these beings is the goddess Ara Maya, who is, by all accounts, the embodiment of the Void itself.
The history of Void Essence or Aul'El (in Nyarqaeshian) "That which cannot be comprehended" is rather obscure, and many theories exist on the matter. One posits that appears to have existed during the first moments of the universe's creation, or might have even existed before the universe, in the nothingness that was before it. A more outlandish offshoot of this theory theorizes that Void Energy really is this nothingness, but most scholars shun such ideas as ridiculous.
In any case, the Nyarqaeshu, a powerful elder race, were the first to discover Void Essence and its properties. They used its power to wage war and wipe out entire races. The first of their number to harness this essence was Padunas Ori, who would later go on to teach others of the Void. From then on, knowledge of the Void spread throughout the cosmos. Though how to actually harness Void Energy remained a secret for a long time.
Void Energy is what occurs when the Void comes in contact with real-space. What practitioners of Void Energy are doing when casting abilities is conjuring forth small portions of the Abyss or the Void. Seeing as the Ara Maya's goal is one of total annihilation of the universe, it stands to reason that Void Energy is also an extension of that will. This makes Void Energy, at least offensively, among the most powerful forms of essence. More powerful practitioners are even capable of removing targets from existence.
While widely seen as a vile essence, this belief is false as Void Energy is ultimately neutral. Indeed, it will remove mutations rather than cause them. While Void Energy does destroy, it does so impartially, and renders its users detached rather than actively malevolent. This was seen in Xizothano Ada's ascension to "godhood", as his use of Void Energy changed him form a benevolent and caring leader, to a ruthless destroyer willing to destroy anything that did not bend the knee to him, ostensibly for their own good. In order to prevent this fate, users of Void Energy must constantly try not to use too much of the Essence, lest they reach the point of no return.
While mainly wielded by organics, Void Energy can be harnessed and focussed by machines to be used as an actual and highly effective form of energy, as was discovered by the Khilai Empire. However, the Void will degrade such machines as much as it does its organic wielders, and does this insidiously. Machine parts will need to be replaced constantly, or else widespread destruction is bound to occur. Worse, as was also discovered by the Khilai, the destruction of such Void Energy generators always happens simultaneously, for reasons unknown beyond being amusing to Ara Maya. Another variant of the Void Energy generator, known as the Void-phase Syphon, was independently reverse-engineered from a precursor race by the Fordan Empire. While more stable, it must nevertheless remain very precise and well-maintained in order to function.
Void Energy can be wielded to access the the Abyss, a sub-realm where the Void exerts as much presence as existence allows. Again, Void Energy can be bound into machines for this purpose, as is presumably done by the Fordan Empire through their Void Relays, and also by the Void Eye Empire through their Gate to the Abyss. The Void degrades these pieces of technology much more slowly that it does energy generators, though it still occurs and operational precision is needed lest the warping fleet accidentally destroys itself by diving too deep into the Abyss.
On the other hand, weapon systems and AI cannot wield Void Energy at all, as they are destroyed instantly upon doing so. It is believed that this is because Ara Maya does not want to see the Void weaponised against her servants, and because it is impossible to turn machines into Infused. A cyborg will also destroy their own cybernetics when using Void Energy, though resonance with the Abyss often forms Infused facsimiles immediately. This puts the former cyborg at a significant risk of degrading into one of the Infused itself.
As mentioned above, Void Energy is dangerous to use and oftentimes has lasting effects on its practitioners. These effects have manifested themselves as afflictions that drive the user into various states of insanity or instability. Most common amongst these afflictions is The Hollowing, which irrevocably turns a user of Void Energy into one of the Abyssal Infused - essentially a slave to the goals of the Void through the will of its deities. The Hollowing seems to be a selective affliction, as those who later became Void deities were never affected by it. It is thus believed to be a tool wielded by Ara Maya to punish those unworthy of advancing further in the mastery of the Void. Another affliction is known simply as The Hunger, which was documented in Xiozuyu Moa's own journal as he was the most notable being to be affected by it to such an extreme degree. Xizothano Ada's own journal also speak of The Hunger through his perspective of watching Xizouyu Moa succumb to it, as well as finding a way to beat The Hunger himself. However, Xizothano Ada's victory over The Hunger would find himself at the mercy of another Void affliction known as The Madness.
Relation to other Essences
Of all essences, Void Energy is opposed to Chromatic Energy, foming interplay between. Outside of this, it seems to be most closely related to Azure Energy, as both manifest in similar colors, and have similarly destructive properties. However, the Void is all-consuming, and while the Azure is no doubt destructive, this is because it forms an antidote of sorts against the virulence of Maelstrom Energy. The reaction of Infused towards the Knavsivvan is not hostile as might be assumed, almost as if they deem them and their Flamewaker servants as kin of some sort. Indeed, when Maelstrom Energy is present, Infused will work together flawlessly with any Flamewalkers present to purge it, and have been seen reality-flooding to the Flamewalker's aid.
Void Energy also shows similarity to Death Energy in its desire to cause things to cease. While beings empowered by Death energy often glow in a demonic red, more experienced users tend to glow aquamarine, much like Void users do when utilizing their energy. However, while energy vampirism lies at the basis of Death Energy, draining another to glut oneself is a concept antithetical to Void Energy. Death Energy is an essence that inspires anger, while Void energy is an essence that inspires calm and resignation. No interaction between Void and Death has ever been observed, but Infused seem to cower at the idea that even the Void might die, as it would means the complete victory of matter over nothingless. As the Void is hostile towards matter, Infused naturally have a hostile reaction towards entities wielding wielding "physical" essences like Maelstrom, Aberric and Life Energy. "Mental" essences like Psionic, Demonic and the various strains of Temporal Energy do generally not inspire such reactions, with Temporal Energy simply generating confusion amongst the Infused as they seem unable to understand it.
Amongst those who believe that all essences ultimately stem from one of the Xhodocto, considerable debate exists about which one amongst the four is responsible for Void Energy and its Chromatic opposite. All agree it couldn't have been Angazhar, for Void and Chromatic lack the sheer malevolence associated with it. At first glance, Draguros seems like the most likely candidate, but since it is an indivisible entity this is unlikely to be true. While Krathazhrukhal is sometimes accepted as the source, the utterly unpredictable victories of Void over Chromatic and vice versa bear the touch of Santorakh. The contradictory natures of Void and Chromatic is also in line with Santorakh if one takes them as flip sides of the same coin. Very few Voidist are willing to accept Santorakh as the ultimate source of their essence, however prequently point out that the ultimate Void affliction is called the Madness, and madness is singurarly associated with their diety. Regardless, it is generally agreed that the Xhodocto haven't meddled with Void and Chromatic energies ever since the beginning of the universe, if they are even responsible for their creation to begin with.
The Void and the Abyss are known to have many beings of great power, each in their own way devoted to the Void's nature. These beings are often worshiped by mortals as gods. The prime god of the Void is the goddess Ara Maya and she is the origin point of the energy. Ara Maya has ultimate control over the Void and she is capable of revoking the ability to wield Void Energy from any practitioner, even the gods below her. Ara Maya tends to be illusive, only being seen and heard by mortals and gods alike when she wishes it.
Directly beneath Ara Maya in the hierarchy are twelve Essential Persacron known as the Forgotten Gods. They are capable of perceiving time, but they do not understand it. These beings reside in the deep Abyss and oftentimes manifest as dragons, serpents, reptilian humanoids, or other shapes unknown to most mortals.
The names of the Forgotten Gods are:
- Kura-Qesin'el - God of power. Often depicted as a serpent or a humanoid with serpentine features.
- Eru-Hasas'el - God of knowledge. Often depicted as a dragon-mollusk hybrid or a humanoid with many dark tentacles.
- Sara-Vya'el - God of peace. Often depicted as a feathered dragon or a feathered humanoid.
- Kafa-Para'el - God of entrophy. Often depicted as a dragon or humanoid with owl-like features, and seen as the God of order by Voidists.
- Jylor-Agras'el - God of justice. Often depicted as a dragon with dark scales and white eyes or a blind humanoid with pitch black skin.
- Taka-Lasin'el - God of desire.
- Dagu-Mahas'el - God of righteousness.
- Zuna-Varin'el - God of death.
- Paha-Nima'el - God of mercy.
- Magu-Zurin'el - God of destiny.
- Nata-Tahas'el - God of impossibility. Confusingly called the God of perfection by Voidists.
- Taura-Maya'el - God of truth. Often depicted as a pale skinned robed woman with long black horns on her head, similarly to Ara Maya herself.
Beneath the Forgotten Gods are various servitors called Urzilak, but they are more popularly known as Wryms or Servitors. These creatures have immense strength and a strong connection to the Abyss. They are able to freely pass between the Abyss and the real-space and have been known to strike deals with or take advantage of mortals in the name of themselves or in the name of a Forgotten God. Usually these creatures are granted power by a Forgotten God through a pact that binds them to a "true name". Uttering this name in a certain way can grant power over the Urzilak. Not all Urzilak serve the Void and the Abyss, but many of them find it advantageous to be aligned with these forces for varying reasons.
Known Urzilak that are aligned with the Void include:
- Tarsagahrvok† - Tarsagahrvok, more commonly known as Vogar the Cursed, was once the Servitor to Eru-Hasas'el. It spent eons carrying out the tasks of its master, gathering knowledge and relaying it back to its Eru-Hasas'el. When the Persacron went extinct or disappeared, Vogar continued its ceaseless search for knowledge to appease its absent master. As it continued this for many more eons, its mental faculties began to deteriorate and it began to lose strength over time. Vogar began invading worlds with sentient life in order to consume their collective knowledge to sustain itself. The other Servitors that knew of Vogar's actions began calling it "the Cursed". It was believed to have been killed by a warrior named Xphi'Dorii when she uttered its true name, in an encounter that was depicted in the Antroth legend ''The Shaman and the Wyrm''. Vogar was said to be as large as a castle and was so long that it could coil itself around a city multiple times. It was capable of flight using massive wings that resembled those of bats. Its body was serpentine in shape and was covered in brown and black scales. Its mouth was filled with glistening black teeth the length of full grown trees.
- Rajuralohk - Rajuralohk, more commonly known as Rahoul the Loyal. Rajuralohk is an Urzilak that is dedicated to the emancipation of his imprisoned master Jurathrax. It is ever loyal to this cause and has even relayed the betrayed god's plight to other gods to aid in its goal of seeing its master freed. Rajuralohk, despite being among the "nicer" Urzilak, has been known to betray or harm others if such an action helps bring Jurathrax closer to freedom. This has earned it the nickname "the Loyal", which is both true and ironic.
Ascended beings are mortals who have used essence to ascended themselves to levels of power that rival that of a god. These beings are considered gods in their own right, due to their control over a given essence, their influence among mortals, and their abilities to affect the universe around them. Void Energy is no exception to this phenomenon, as there are a few mortals who used Void Energy to ascend themselves to godhood.
These beings include:
- Ada the Empty God - Formerly known as Xizothano Ada, Ada the Empty God is one of the most famous and most powerful of Void Energy's ascended beings.
- The Hungering Maw - Formerly known as Xizouyu Moa, the Hungering Maw is a manifestation of Xizouyu Moa's Void afflicted hunger that mindlessly wanders the Abyss in search of sustenance.
- Draedan - Known formerly as Manadrae Dan. Draedan acts as the guardian protector of Tyris Major and has tasked himself with preventing the Void from destroying the universe.
Void Anomalies are beings that are the result of the Void or Abyss interacting with objects or other Essences that gain some level of sentience and great command over Void Energy. This typically happens without the input of other Void gods. The category includes Or'Koth, a biomechanical entity created by the Virgonian Civilization.
Offensive Void Essence Attacks are categorized into different Tiers. This allows users to get a general idea on how powerful they actually are. Abilities in the lower Tiers are basic attacks that can be used by any user. Higher Tier attacks require immense amounts of the user's energy and a large amount of skill to master. The attacks listed are the most common attacks, as users can improvise and create new attacks for combat variety.
Void Essence Attacks at the higher levels are dangerous to wield. Users must practice vigorously to avoid self harm. This is not always the case for the lower level attacks, as Void Essence seems to work on its own laws of physics. However, many Void Energy attacks lose energy the longer they travel, and are best used at short range, though are extremely powerful.
- Void Bubble - An attack that launches a thin-membraned bubble of Void energy at the opponents. The ball then explodes on contact with a solid surface or its target. Another use encases the foe in the energy sphere. The opponent can then be crushed using a Void Crush.
- Void Saucer - A disk shaped energy attack that can slice through opponents. It's power depends on how hard the disk is thrown. Concentration is required when preforming this technique. If one does not concentrate, the Void Sauces can fly wildly off course, missing the target completely before dissipating, or sometimes sometimes even arcing back to the user.
- Abyssal Stream - The user stomps the ground, causing a stream of Abyssal Energy to open up from the Abyssal Domain between his feet and his foe. This attack has not much force, however, and the steam quickly dries up after a minute or so without leaving any marks.
- Abyssal Energy Beam - A continuous energy beam that does considerable amounts of damage to unarmored opponents. The beam can be stopped at any time or can continue being fired as long as the wielder has energy.
- Void Punch/Void Kick - A physical attack that charges the wielder's limbs with Void Essence. While this does not enhance the striking power of the user's physical strikes, it causes a small vortex wherever the user strikes. This vortex collapses within seconds, causing significant damage.
- Void Pull - An harmless attack that creates an vacuum around the user, drawing objects in.
- Void Push - A harmless attack that pushes opponents away from the user. Range is limited to the user's eyesight and limbs, as the force comes from either the hands or feet of the user. Damage can be caused by pushing opponents into objects.
Defensive Techniques have no Tier restrictions.
- Annihilation Field - The most basic of defensive Void Energy applications, and also the most dangerous, this technique summons watery ribbons of black energy which float around the user. Though the field does not protect the user against damage, it quickly breaks down matter within it's radius, making it both an effective deterrent to melee combat and a very helpful technique within it. However the field can only be used for a short while to prevent it from affecting the user.
- Void Shield - This technique creates a protective watery-cyan sphere around the user that can be used to defend against essence based attacks, gunfire, and physical damage. The strength of the shield depends on how much energy is put into making it. It can be broken through however, as the shield's durability is limited.
- Abyssal Pulse - This is a defensive version of a Abyssal Shockwave. This technique can be used to push opponents away from the user in all directions.
- Gravity Field - This technique manipulates the user's own gravity, allowing them to fly and deflect projectile based attacks.
- Fortification of Nothingness - An ability that coats the user in Void Essence. The user is almost impervious to damage for short periods of time. This enhancement is, in fact, invisible to foes, easily allowing them to wear themselves down on the user. It is certainly the most difficult of the defensive techniques to master and requires constant focus.
- Fear of the Depths - This hex fills the minds of the user's opponent with images watery depths trough which numbingly cold and pelagic shapes swim. The victim is paralyzed as he tries to escape the frightening vision and the imagined deep-sea pressure that rests on his body. In this state, the victim is unable to defend himself or herself, and is extremely open to other kinds of attacks.
- Voidseer - Using this technique, the user closes his eyes and meditates. He becomes aware of the empty space that surrounds him or her and the hazards that lie in it. Therefore, this technique is especially useful when the user is crossing the void of space.
- Void Portal - This ability allows the user to fold two points within the void together, forming a rift of energy between them trough the Abyssal Domain. This allows the user to cross empty space in an eyeblink, but only works between two points in the true void and other airless space, and not if there is any atmosphere in between.
- Abyssal Pressure - This technique is used to improve the user's physical strength to an impressive margin. Physical attacks become much stronger.
- Abyssal Weave - This ability allows the user to heal wounds almost instantly. The severity of the wound determines how much energy is used during the repair.
- Hollow in Spirit and Body - This technique, only able to be used by Tier 4 and 5 Void users, allows the being to absuct chosen foes or allies into the Abyssal Domain, one being at a time. The essence of the being will be devoured by the Void and the being will be brainwashed into serving the user, while seemingly retaining their free will. Thus an Infused is created. The appearance of these beings changes into a hollow shell filled with cyan-ish abyssal substance. This technique can also be used to revive dead beings, by taking their souls, putting them into new shells, and filling these shells with the substance of the abyss. Due to this, a strong enough Void user can create his or her own personal, unquestionably loyal army. This was seen when Ada revived the Infectants, Helmore and Nebulorians to fight for him during the Return and enhanced the many Adaist Crimson Son Volver this way during the same conflict.
Gaining Access to Void Energy
In order for someone to gain access to the ability to harness Void Energy, they must first enter and survive within the Abyss, which is easier said than done. Whist there, those with the fortitude to survive the Abyss may return with the ability to harness low tier Void abilities. However, access to higher powers requires an individual to worship a Void Deity and for that deity to grant them the power. Gods such as Ara Maya or Ada are known as the most powerful of these gods, though the former is believed to be the undisputed ruler over the Void. While these gods enjoy worship, they do not grant these powers lightly and usually only choose champions that the deem worthy. Even this is dangerous, as the gods of the Void always have motives that are unknowable and are usually a determent to their followers. Common warnings from anti-Void factions state that a Void God's kindness is often hostility in disguise.
Users are divided into tiers as well. Users within a tier can use abilities that are within that tier and ones that are lower. Someone who is a Tier Three user can use Tier One and Two techniques, but cannot use Tier Four abilities properly.
Quotes from Others
- Add your Own
“This thing, I think it tells people what they want to hear, want they want to believe. Anything so that they'll use it and worship it so it can achieve it's goals. I know what it tells me, and I don't like it.”
- - Seerkar
“This power is incredible...I feel as if the power of the universe is at my fingertips. But...that is why this power is frighting...”
“I was born with this power. It is indeed very powerful. Though...I hope that people understand how dangerous this energy is. It can currupt anyone, drawing upon the order and discipline so many civilisatiosn hold dear.”
“The void... it is nothing... but nothing can be far more terrifying and dangerous then anything I have encountered.”
- - Jura
“Sooo hungry... but this taste bad... taste poison... not filling... so hungry... so cold.”
- - ???
“The Void Eye Empire gave us the Void Tech, and we will be forever grateful for that! It allowed we the JGrox to develop the Void Shamanism, that have the best and avoid the worst of the Voidism! Harmonize the Void is the least we can do to atone for the sins of our ancestors!”